The best mulching blades can effectively clip the grass in your lawn into tiny sizes, allowing the garden to look quite neat even with the clippings retained. So what is a mulching blade?
It is a lawnmower blade to deliver grass clippings and mulch them into small pieces. They can comfortably fit any type of lawnmowers mulcher, offering reliable output even on the toughest grass.
We prize the Toro 59534P Recycler Mower Replacement Blade among the current mulching blades as our winner for its excellent performance.
These grass blades are budget-friendly but durable and heavy-duty enough to provide precise cutting of grass. Besides, they also feature a jagged edge, increasing the grass cutting surface.
- 1 Reviews Of Top 7 Best Mulching Blades
- 1.1 Toro 59534P Recycler Mower Replacement Blade – Best Overall
- 1.2 MAYITOP Lawn Mower Blades – Best For Durability
- 1.3 Oregon Gator Mulcher 3-N-1 Lawn Mower Blade – Best For Construction
- 1.4 USA Mower Blades AYP340BP Mulching Blade – Best For Sharpness
- 1.5 MAXPOWER 331905B Universal Mulching Blade – Best For Value
- 1.6 Husqvarna 954636867 Mulching 2 Blade – Best For High Lifting
- 1.7 MTD Genuine Parts 942-0741A Mulching Blade – Best For Tough Grass
- 2 Best Mulching Blade Buying Guide
- 3 Final Thoughts
Toro 59534P Recycler Mower Replacement Blade – Best Overall
- Toro tooth mulcher blade
- Replaces 108-9764-03
- Tooth mulcher blade
Our winner is the Toro 59533P Mower Blade. It is budget-friendly but delivers excellent mulching performance. It features a 21-11/16 inches length and a thickness of 0.15 inches to replace 108-9764-03.
Besides, the Toro mulching blade is strengthened via the austempering process, ensuring it offers improved quality service than the stock blade. Plus, it comes with a jagged edge to increase the cutting surface.
Accordingly, it can facilitate an excellent performance on tough grass. The secure fit and rounded mount make it easy to set up.
What also makes us impressed is that it comes pre-sharpened, meaning they’re ready to use at launch. Due to sharp blade edges, it is best to handle this blade with gloves for safety.
That said, it is the heaviest blade on the list, probably causing the RPM (revolutions per minute) loss.
- Budget-friendly price
- Treated by an austempering process for better results
- Jagged edge to increase the cutting surface
- Easy to set up
- Come pre-sharpened for use at launch
- Heavyweight causing RMP loss
MAYITOP Lawn Mower Blades – Best For Durability
- Rotary replacement lawn mower blades.
- Fits certain John Deere lawn mowers.
- Fits OEM: AM137328, AM141033, GX22151, GY20850.
If you seek an affordable and durable mower blade, the MAYITOP Lawn Mower Blades might be your answer. They feature carbon steel construction so that you can rest assured about their durability.
The mulch blades also passed various efficiency and safety tests like the Rockwell Hardness Standards. They boast super sharp edges, making the lawn mowing much faster.
This mower blade also stands out with a vertical teeth design, improving the airflow for a better cutting experience. On top of that, it can boost the mower’s fuel efficiency, saving much money on the cost of fuel.
We also love the centrifugal airlift system to deliver precise and quick grass clipping, making it the best mulcher blade for leaves. The blade is a perfect alternative to John Deere mulching blades.
As the brand treats the blades for optimal hardness, you can expect decent performance from them. However, this blade seems to get dull quickly after several cuts. So you need a frequent sharpening routine.
- Affordable price
- High durability thanks to carbon steel construction
- Super sharp edges to mow lawn much faster
- Offer fuel efficiency to save much energy
- Centrifugal airlift system for precise and quick grass clipping
- Perfect alternative to mulching blades for John Deere
- Get dull after some cuts
Oregon Gator Mulcher 3-N-1 Lawn Mower Blade – Best For Construction
- Long-lasting and heavy-duty 21-2/3 inch replacement 3-N-1...
- Oregon mower blades are premium replacement parts, built to...
- 26-point certification of unparalleled manufacturing quality...
The next position belongs to the Oregon Gator Mower Blade for its high-end construction. It is made of sturdy steel black coated for superb functionality to cut the grass like a breeze and mulch it into small pieces.
With a length of 16 – 15/16 inches, the blade can fit most decks of 48 inches. Thus, you can utilize it with various mulching mowers available, including the M127673, M145476, M127500, 90-348, 696-354, 330-369, and 302-48.
The blade’s vertical teeth design can enhance the airflow for an improved mulching experience. Besides, its edges are ergonomically angled at a position it provides to improve the mowing speed.
On the downside, this option might not be suitable for tall grass.
- High-end construction for durability
- Easily crush the grass
- Fit most decks of 48 inches
- Vertical teeth design for an improved mulching experience
- Fast mowing speed
- Not for tall grass
USA Mower Blades AYP340BP Mulching Blade – Best For Sharpness
- Fits OEMS: 532134149 532422719 532424752 539110460 91724676...
- Fits OEMS: 917777134149 954636867 777134149
- 2 Blades Required for a 42" Deck
The USA Mower Blades AYP340BP blades win our hearts thanks to their extra sharpness. With jagged edges, the blades can cut a bigger cutting surface fast and efficiently.
These thin but hardy blades provide thorough cuts on various kinds of lawns. They can even work in wet and dry grass.
As they originate from the USA, you can rest assured about their high quality. They are pre-sharpened so that you can use them right out of the box.
Besides, you will find it relatively easy to set up and securely fit for extra output. These blades are compatible with a wide range of lawnmowers with a 42-inch mower deck.
The USA Mower blades would rank higher on the list if they were thicker for heavier-duty tasks.
- Extra sharpness
- Deliver a bigger cutting surface fast and efficiently
- Work in both dry and wet grass
- Ready to use at launch
- Easy to set up
- Be compatible with various lawn mowers
- Slightly thin
MAXPOWER 331905B Universal Mulching Blade – Best For Value
- Universal mulching blade
- Measures 21" X 2-1/4"
- Includes a cover Washer & 6 reducing washers in the...
Those on a tight budget will like this mulching kit – the Maxpower 331905B. Thanks to an effective cutting edge design, the blades can cut the hardest grass.
It seems that weather conditions do not matter with the blades. Once again, if you seek a heavy-duty method that will not hurt the budget, the Maxpower 331905B might be your answer.
Though the blades come at an affordable price, they do not sacrifice the quality much. They can fit various mowers with a 42-inch cut, mostly Craftsman, Poulan, and Husqvarna.
Each blade measures 21 inches in length and 2-2/1 inches in width. The blades can indeed provide a secure fit and help your mowers maintain the best RPM.
That said, the blades would be better if they did not have chute clogging. Besides, you might find it not easy to set up.
- Effective cutting edge design to cut the hardest grass
- Affordable price
- Fit various mowers
- Provide a secure fit
- Help the mowers maintain the best RPM
- Chute clogging
- Not easy to install
Husqvarna 954636867 Mulching 2 Blade – Best For High Lifting
- Fits Models: Lt18542, Lth18542, Lth2042 And Yth1542Xp
- Includes Two Blades
- For 42-Inch Decks
The brand Husqvarna is a giant in gardening and agriculture. Its products are famous for exceptional quality and durability.
The 954636867 Mulching 2 Blade set is no exception. These blades are the best high lift mulching blades, helping to distribute the cut grass better.
As the freshly shredded grass is thrown at a far distance, you can get a more even shred layer. The capacity to disperse grass with better velocity makes the blade perfect for discharging.
The 954636867 high-lift blade wins our hearts as it generates little noise. And you also find it easy to set up lawnmowers, even if you are a beginner.
As the blade comes in a length of 42 inches, you can use it to cover broad areas of the lawn at once. Nevertheless, the blade seems to bump into stumps during operating sessions.
- Deliver exceptional quality and durability
- Distribute the grass clippings evenly
- Generate little noise
- Easy to install
- Able to work in a wide area
- Possibly bump into stumps
MTD Genuine Parts 942-0741A Mulching Blade – Best For Tough Grass
- Sharper blades cut grass cleanly and create a healthier...
- Weakened grass Blades are prone to pests and disease
- Give your lawn a professional finish the neighbors will...
The last pick is the MTD 942-0741A Mulching Blade. This suggestion is the best choice for push mowers.
The blade can handle the rigors of wet and tough grass to deliver good mulching generally. It is quite robust to deliver neat and clean cuts for your healthy lawn.
In other words, your lawn can get a professional look that your neighbors can admire. Built to fit the deck of 21 inches, the blade features four-point center holes. It can help lower bags or raking clippings.
However, it takes time for the blade to get sharp since it boasts a protective coating, compromising the ability to cut for the first 30 minutes or so.
- Ideal for cutting in wet and tough grass
- Robust to deliver neat and clean cuts
- Fit the deck of 21 inches with four-point center holes
- Able to lower bags or raking clippings
- Take time to sharpen the blade
Regular blades (2-in-1 blades): used to cut grass and bag or discharge the clippings. A standard blade is aerodynamic and straight to deliver a powerful lift expelling grass clippings from under the deck.
The standard mower blades are ideal when mulching grass clippings might not be possible. Many like to bag the grass clipping for a more beautiful-looking lawn.
Bagging clippings can remove debris and leaves from your lawn to leave a well-manicured cutting.
It is advisable not to use regular blades for overgrown grass to clog under the deck and leave grass clumps on the freshly cut lawn.
Mulching blades (3-in-1 blades): used to mulch or bag grass clipping. They come with more curves and a better cutting edge.
The lawnmowers mulching blades’ curved design is perfect for use on the grass that gets mowed for 3-4 days.
Using this type of blade on the overgrown lawn can clog under its deck and grass piles on the lawn. But it is an environmentally friendly method to handle lawn clippings.
They can be used as a natural fertilizer to nourish the soil and plants.
It is best to choose the mulching blade with the proper length. The lawnmower and all components are specifically designed for a specific blade length.
Setting up a too-small mulching blade can offer less than optimal results in 3 different methods.
- You make more passes as the area the mower covers is smaller.
- You can miss small grass strips altogether for mower decks with multi-blades, leaving the grass look like a mosh pit with various Mohawk cuts.
- The bagger is probably ineffective because of lacking airflow. Most mowers display the cut size on the mower side (22 inches, 48 inches, and more). That’s why it is best to check the machine to find the right length.
Mulching models are significantly heavier than regular mower blades. Purchasing a heavy blade can make the tool break down or malfunction.
As the mower might not be prepared for heavy blades, buying a blade without considering its weight might not be a good decision.
The structure is another element that can decide if your blade can work or not. So it is advisable not to sleep on this factor. Mulching blades have varying shapes or structures.
After you seek an option catching your eyes, going through the blade details and which brands it’s compatible with.
You will not want to buy a blade that cannot last long. Remember to check the material of the blade in question. Heat-treated industrial steel is the best idea for lawnmowers blades.
Besides, you had better check its corrosion resistance. As you can mow the lawn in the morning when it’s full of dew, the mower can get wet. It is best to choose the one unaffected by water to avoid rusty blades.
In this video, you will learn how to replace the mulching blade on a Craftsman lawn mower:
So you have gone through our top 7 best mulching blades reviews. In a nutshell, before making the final decision, it is advisable to look at our buying guide.
Accordingly, there are several key elements you need to consider, including durability, length, materials, and weight. If you still do not know which product you should purchase, we recommend Toro 59534P Recycler Mower Replacement Blade.
Last update on 2022-08-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API